My birthday is my favourite holiday, I just feel it’s so unfair that not everbody gets to celebrate it. There’s so much to get out of my birthday, besides just an appreciation for my mother pushing me out of the womb. My personal favourite part of my birthday is reminiscing on all the things that happened in the past year (to me) and all the great things to come (for me) while listening to my favourite music. I really wanted to share this enriching tradition with you all. Without further ado, here is a list of my favourite things that happened in my 22nd year and the things I’m looking forward to. I highly recommend you read it while listening to my Spotify playlist which you can find below.
1. ‘Gabrie’ revealed herself to the public. I started a YouTube channel I quickly abandoned when I remembered how much I hate making YouTube videos.
2. Discovered Crazy Ex Girlfriend during a mildly difficult time in my life and I don’t want to indulge too much in hyperbole but it was the greatest thing to ever happen in my whole 23 years, including that time I danced on stage at Gwen Stefani’s concert.
3. Lemonade came out during an extremely poignant moment in my life. Bless Beyoncé.
4. Started frequenting open mics in the Streetsville area and slowly gained confidence in my originals.
5. Recorded one of my originals, “He Asked Me If I Needed a Storm”, with a friend and despite some initial anxiety about releasing it to the world and my own vocal abilities, I eventually did thanks to all of their hard work and support (and the emotional support of my best friend and sister).
6. Bought a bomb-ass dress, got my makeup professionally did and made my way to a video shoot with Sunset6 productions. It was one of the best experiences of my life, I honestly don’t think I’ve ever had this much fun.
7. Monika and I went to a Fifth Harmony concert before Camila Cabello abandoned them. HISTORIC.
8. Went to Cocktails n Canvas not once BUT TWICE with my Fido coworkers. Had the amazing realization that just because you’re pretty good at one art form doesn’t mean you should explore them all. Had fun anyways.
9. Had my first official performance at Studio 89. It was two hours. I lost all feeling in my fingers (playing acoustic guitar, just for context). My amazing friends and family started the beautiful tradition of being my actual entourage.
10. I had my first bar performance at the Cavern with Controversial Sharks. My father, of course, reminded me that the Beatles were discovered at a bar also called the Cavern. Did not get discovered. Was still pretty cool.
11. Performed, “He Asked Me If I Needed a Storm”, at Youth Day on Dundas Square in Toronto. Lol, you wish you were a baller like me
12. Graduated from Laurier. Have a lot of feelings about this. But there it is.
13. Had to move out of my Waterloo apartment, had even more feelings about this. But again, there it is.
14. Reunited with some cool old co-workers when I started working at Rogers in Milton.
15. Met a mildly cool person I sorta like.
16. Got accepted into the Humber Creative Book Publishing Program.
17. Chopped my hair off again. Made a bigger deal about it than it actually was. This truly was the year of the bang though.
18. Went to my bestie Shaney’s Christmas party. This really is a big deal because it’s probably one of the two or three times I saw him all year because he’s the worst. Jks. Loved it. Made my Christmas.
19. Started recording, “Dig Myself In”, which is going to be released this year! Come watch me perform it May 17 at the Opera House (shameless self promotion, which is appropriate because the whole purpose of this blog is shameless self promotion).
20. Went to my first protest with my sister. Unfortunately it was my only one all year but that is something I hope changes in this next year of my life.
21. For some reason I got a hotel in Waterloo with Monika just for Phil’s. This feels significant. I don’t know why. It was a great Phil’s night though.
22. Performed at the Eton House, Tori subway-ed her ass there like the MVP she is.
23. Started writing this blog.
I thought this was going to be harder to write. The truth is the former part of this year was kind of a shit storm. But it all came together kind of beautifully to turn itself into one of the most important years of my life thus far. I’m so very lucky to have the amazing friends and family that I have, thank you all, mentioned or not.
And thank you for taking the time look back on this year with me. I hope you enjoyed my birthday.